Friday, November 21, 2008

First time for everything

Well seems there is a little game of tag going on, but its different in the virtual world. I am not sure how this works but I am sure some one will point out the rules I mess up.



Pick up the closest book to you and open to page 56. Write down the fifth sentence and the next 3 to 5.

OK. The closest book to me, by mere inches is :

"The Complete Paratime" by H. Beam Piper

It is a collection of his short stories about the Paratime Police.

Page 56 falls in the story "Police Operation".

He punched the designation on a keyboard; instantly, it appeared on a translucent screen in front of him. He punched another combination and, at the top of the screen, under the number, there appeared; Events, Past elapsed five years. He punched again; below this line appeared the sub-heading: Events involving Paratime Transposition. Another code-combination added a third line: (Attracting public notice among inhabitants.) He pressed the "start" button; the headings vanished, to be replaced by page after page of print, succeeding one another on the screen as the two men read.


This is early to mid 1960's Sci-fi. But I really like the story "Lord Kalven of Otherwhen". I usually read it once a year.

Just for your information, the book that lost out by mere inches was "Tick Tock" by Dean Koontz. It is also high on my list of favorites and reread often.

Now about the tagging... Walrilla said eveyone has done it, not sure how you would do it, so I will pass on the tagging this time. BUT... For the few who will stop by and read this, What is your FAVORITE book to read? I guess right now, I would have to say "The Dragon Riders of Pern" by Anne McCaffery. Looking forward to your answers.

Later :D